Click below to learn more about the programs and classes that we offer free of charge to parents. If you would like to register for a class, simply scroll down and click on the links under each category to register.
A series of weekly meetings of our Career Support Workshops offer support to achieve parents' goals necessary for career or business success. Bring your lunch and get free career support! Participants will Learn how their skills and abilities can lead to new options, explore freelance and small business opportunities, understand networking options such as LinkedIn, Facebook, blogs and list-serves, learn the components of a successful resume and cover letter, practice how to interview successfully and get support from peers.
Are you looking to enter or reenter the workforce? Our job readiness workshop is intended to help you identify the best career for you, networking tips, preparing for the interview, and how to write a great thank you letter.
REGISTER HERE MAY 2013 CAREER SUPPORT WORKSHOP FLYER
Our classes are offered to parents needing to learn basic computer skills in order to successfully enter or re-enter the workforce or for their own personal and professional empowerment. Topics include:
- Basic computer usage
- Using the Internet
- Setting up a free email account
- Uploading and sending files through email
- Basic word processing - including resume writing tips.
- How to search for a job and apply online
- How to communicate on-line with their children's public schools.
These workshops are intended for parents who want to build skills around managing their finances and are designed to provide effective strategies for managing the financial aspects of a family’s financial life and fosters economic self-sufficiency. The workshops are offered to parents, particularly low income women, with minimal financial knowledge who find their life choices severely limited as a result. Participants are provided with the necessary tools for basic money management and the support needed to help them develop solid financial management skills. This program is taught by subject matter experts including our business partners from the financial industry. Topics covered include:
- How to balance a checkbook.
- How to create a budget for your family.
- Skills and tips for maintaining that budget.
- Identifying ways to save money.
Learn the basics of conversational Spanish. At the end of this course, the parents will be able to carry on conversations in the Spanish language. This skill is useful for bi-lingual job requirements as well as assisting dual language students with homework.
REGISTER HERE FLYER
Our Career Counseling services include:
- One-on-one career guidance
- Screening and assessment of current skills and expertise
- Assistance with resumes, cover letters, thank-you letters, etc.
- Job search strategies
- Information on job leads and training opportunities
- Referrals to ParentJobNet's job readiness workshops and training
- Practice with mock interviews
- Vocational support
- Coaching on career transition, career planning, personal marketing, and networking
- Referrals to agencies for assistance such as: housing, childcare, healthcare, etc.
To meet with a Career Counselor
Please do the following:
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compete the registration form here
- Contact our office at 212-362-2735 or 917-546-9104 for an appointment